[ltp] Dual layer DVD drives?

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:18:45 -0500

On 12/14/05, Mario Butter <mario.butter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use a dual-layer DVD writer with a USB2 interface.
>
> On 12/14/05, Crawford Rainwater <crawford.rainwater@linux-etc.com> wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > I have been looking around and noticing that Levono/IBM is not directly
> > making an dual layer DVD drives for the ThinkPads (yet).  I was
> > wondering if anyone has either (1) found drives that with some physical
> > modifications will work with the ThinkPad UltraBay slot; or (2) found a
> > drive from like eBay or similar to do such?
> >
> > Personally, have an IBM R50p running Gentoo (quite nicely) here. B-)
> >
> > Feedback and comments are welcomed.  TIA.
> >
> > --- Crawford
> > --
> > The Linux ETC Company
> > P.M.B. 146
> > 368 South McCaslin Boulevard
> > Louisville, CO 80027 USA
> > +1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
> > +1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
> > +1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
> > http://www.linux-etc.com
> >
> > --
> >

> --
> Mario

I've had an aftermarket nec in my r40 for several months now - no
complaints.  The face-place just needed a little notch cut out.  A few
strokes with a razor knife will do the job.

newegg has a nice selection of drives now, actually:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=3D&PropertyCodeVa=
lue=3D365%3A8673&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeVa=
lue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&P=
ropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCo=
deValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=3D0&PropertyCodeValue=
=3D0&description=3D&MinPrice=3D&MaxPrice=3D&SubCategory=3D5&Submit=3DProper=
ty

--
Noah Dain