[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:22:28 +0000

>I'm really confused. What do you mean? Do you mean if you do
>hdparm -B [1-256] /dev/hda
>and
>hdparm -S t /dev/hda
>nothing happen but after that two steps *then* if you do
>hdparm -B 256
>after *t * second it spin down?
>So what I need is hdparm -B 256 then hdparm -S t then hdparm -B 256?
>Maybe I'm being dense but your email really confuse me.
>Thanks in advance for clarification.
>Jiang

Ok sorry it was late here in france :)
So, here are raw results :

* Experience 1 :
hdparm -B 255 -S 1 /dev/hda
--> After 5 seconds of IO inactivity, head park (can hear "clong" and
check it with headpark code), no spindown

* Experience 2 :
hdparm -B 255 -S 2 /dev/hda
--> After 10 seconds of IO inactivity, head park, no spindown

and so on, 15s for -S3 etc.

* Experience 3 :
hdparm -B128 -S1 /dev/hda
--> After ~ 4 seconds of IO inactivity, head park, no spindown

* Experience 4 :
hdparm -B128 -S2 /dev/hda
--> After ~ 7 seconds of IO inactivity, head park, no spindown

* Experience 5 :
hdparm -B1 -S1 /dev/hda
--> After ~ 4 seconds of IO inactivity, head park, no spindown

* Experience 6 :
hdparm -B1 -S2 /dev/hda
--> After ~ 7 seconds of IO inactivity, head park, no spindown

Regards

paul