[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:44:12 +0000

Hi

>// start quote
>
>I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable
>spin down times:
>
>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
>/etc/init.d/noflushd start

That is basically what laptop-mode does.

>I use kernel 2.6.14 and ext3, and this setup gives me spin down times
>up to a few hours. Maybe mounting with noatime could improve this, but
>I don't want to criple my system just to get a little bit more battery
>lifetime.

I can not figure why writing access time is crucial for a filesystem.
I've alway been mouting partitions with noatime with no problem.
I hate the computer noise, I use laptop-mode even on non-laptop computers,
so tens of partitions have been used with noatime for a couple of years
with no problem :)

>Regards,
>Tino
>
>// end quote
>

>part of this coming weekend is slated for moving my filesystems to ext3.
>
>--
>Noah Dain

Paul