[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:03:48 +0100

On 12/15/05, Paul RIVIER <paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr> wrote:

> >Could you first) disable syslogd and/or klogd, and last) try monitor
> >I/O access with:
> >  echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
> >instead of gkrellm
> >and read the kernel output using "dmesg" ?
> >
> >Javier
> >

> I use vmstat for that.
>
> man vmstat :
> [...]
>  IO
>        bi: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s).
>        bo: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
> [...]
>
> Is that ok ? That is how I determined the behaviour discribed in my
> other post about the headpark instead of the spindown.

Yes, it looks like OK. It is also used at
http://bulma.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=3D1511.

But the "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump" method is the operation
described in $linuxsrc/Documentation/laptopmode.txt to debug and
search problematic process.

Javier