[ltp] TP600E and extra hard drive

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:39:48 -0600

David wrote:

> I have a slide in drive bay that holds a 2.5" hard drive. This slides
> into the slot on the front where the diskette drive or cd rom drive
> also fit. I am using SuSE 9.3.  When I use the computer with the
> diskette drive or cd it is detected and can be used like any other
> drive. When I put the hard drive in place it is detected after I add
> an fstab entry for it. When this entry is in place and I boot the
> computer the initialization fails with something to the effect a
> partition is missing that is not root and the pad will only boot to a
> command line. If I rem the fstab entry out the pad will boot fine. Can
> anyone enlighten me on the proper way to have this drive detected?
> Another thing is if when I try to mount it manually it is not found.
>
> David

You should show us what you have in fstab, it's a lot easier for us to
then tell you what to change.  Also the actual messages from the kernel
will help us see exactly what is going on.

I use a second hard drive in my 600E from time to time, and I don't have
to mess with anything when I cold swap in the CD drive or even the
floppy.  For the second drive in my fstab I have:

/dev/hdc1   /aux   ext3   defaults,noauto   0   0

/aux is the mount point I have for the single partition that is on the
second hard drive.  The "noauto" means that I have to manually issue a
"mount /aux" command as root when I have the drive in and want to use it.

For the cdrom I have the usual:

/dev/cdrom   /cdrom   iso9660   defaults,user,noauto   0   0

where /dev/cdrom is symlinked to /dev/scd0.  Again because of the
"noauto" I have to issue "mount /cdrom" when I want to use a data CD.

Because of the "noauto" at boot time there are no complaints.  Since I
only cold swap the drives they are already there at boot time, and get
detected as usual when the ide drivers load, which for me are compiled
into the kernel.

wes