[ltp] T4x Battery Conditons Survey

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:42:42 +0100

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:58:55PM +0000, Peter B. West wrote:
> Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:53:03PM +0800, Kelvin KAN wrote:
> >
> >>Now nearly 1 yr, in 38 charging cycles, the battery capacity of my T42
> >>has dropped from 4700mAh (designed) to 4200mAh (fully charged).
> >>Projecting this degradation into next yr, it will be practically giving
> >>me only 2-hr running by next X'mas.
> >>
> >>To be honest, I've been using the battery with great care and have
> >>removed the battery while running on AC.  And 38 charge cycles in 1 yr
> >>does NOT seem too frequent.
> >>
> >>How's yours?  Really an IBM (not Lenovo) quality issue?
> >

> >Same problem here. When I bought my T42 they claimed the battery to
> >stand 5h. I never went beyond 3h (which is normal: 47000mAh/16000mW =
> >~3).
> >
> >After one year of intensive use (200 charges) always emptying the
> >battery before charging, I get a max. capacity of 42000mAh just like
> >you. I'm kind of disappointed by this aspect of the Thinkpads,
> >probably the only weak point of this laptop.
>
> This sounds like great battery performance to me.  If this is typical of
> ThinkPad batteries, we have nothing to complain about.  Try a Dell sometime.

Well, after loading smapi, I can give much more precise data:

atto:~[0]# cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/design_capacity
47520 mWh
atto:~[0]# cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count
266
atto:~[0]# cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/remaining_capacity
29970 mWh

After a complete charge. So I lost 30% in one year, much more than
what I thought first

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be