[ltp] T43 and libdvdcss/libdvdread

Ziga Mahkovec linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:48:56 +0100

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 21:23 +0100, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:
> I would like to play video DVD, so i have installed libdvdcss and
> libdvdread debian package on my laptop. However, when i try to read a
> dvd with mplayer, i have these messages in /var/log/syslog :
>
> kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 60525
> kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 60526
> kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 60527
> [...]

I'm seeing the same thing on my T43p (Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-822S).  DVD-Rs
work fine, but none of the DVD-Videos will play.  I start seeing those
errors immediately after inserting the DVD, so it's probably not an
issue with libdvdcss/libdvdread.

This is both with the SATA and IDE drivers.  In the latter case, the
errors read:

  kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 5092
  kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
  kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Do you have the option of trying this in Windows?  I wonder if it's a
hardware issue.  It could also be a DMA issue, but I thought the SATA
driver should take care of that?

--
Ziga