[ltp] Running SETI@Home (or loading your processor)

Macskassy Csaba linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:40:37 +0100

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:52:12 +0100, Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:

> I used to run SETI@Home on my T40p but I stopped when it appeared to
> have deleterious effects on my video (horizontal lines). The lines would
> go away as the load and temperature decreased.
>
> I recently got the motherboard replaced (under warranty) which fixed
> the video problem.
>
> Do you think that running something as intense as SETI@Home for so
> long actually caused the downfall of my motherboard, or was it
> defective to begin with?
>
> Would you not run CPU-intensive programs on your ThinkPad at all? Does
> running such programs limit the lifespan of a computer?
>
> Would you run them part-time to give the board a chance to cool off
> occasionally?
>
> Or are the thermal changes worse, are the units designed to tolerate
> such heat, and would you just let them run all the time?

I think that you worry too much. My personal opinion is that the thinkpad
was designed to work, and now it should work! In most of the cases, high
load (and high temperature) has only negative effects on the hd and the
battery.
And the thermal-design of thinkpads is really great. (Just take a look at
Gericom & co)

Regards,
Csaba

--