[ltp] Running SETI@Home (or loading your processor)

Bernhard Sputh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:11:03 +0000

--nextPart4782313.TvPioJrKxb

Hi Bill,

On Monday 19 December 2005 20:52, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Would you not run CPU-intensive programs on your ThinkPad at all? Does
> running such programs limit the lifespan of a computer?

A computational extensive program should not affect the hardware at all,=20
except maybe in mechanical computers. I had seti@home running 24*7 without=
=20
any side effects, the machines I used are still up and running :)

> Would you run them part-time to give the board a chance to cool off
> occasionally?
>
> Or are the thermal changes worse, are the units designed to tolerate
> such heat, and would you just let them run all the time?

Nope, thermal stress is much worse than running things constantly.=20

My guess for Your defect is an initial problem of the GPU or graphics memor=
y.

Cheers
Bernhard

=2D-=20
Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence.=20
                                              - Edsger Dijkstra