[ltp] Problem with radeon driver from ATI

LUK ShunTim linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:52:50 +0800

Bobby wrote:
> T41p Debian unstable, Kernel 2.6.12 (undervolt patched) for me.
>
> Did you find something for solve this problem ?
>
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Michael Heinrich wrote:
>
>> Bobby <bobby001@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> But now I can't quit X11, when I do it : I have a black screen and if
>>> I wait the screen become very strange as you can see on the picture :

>>> Anybody already had this problem ?
>>> --
>>

>> Yes. T41p, Gentoo, Kernel 2.6.14-suspend2.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Michael Heinrich

I got this problem when I upgrade to kernel 2.6.15 in experimental,
2.6.15-rc5-686 to be exact. I boot to console (no xdm, gdm etc installed) and
start X/gnome with startx and when I quit X by the usual way through the panel
menu "Desktop|Log out" (I usually choose save current setup but I don't think
that matters), I cannot get back to the console, just a blank black screen and
no response to key press. I have to turn off the power.

However I *don't* think it's an ATI driver problem as I don't have the problem
with a 2.6.12-1 kernel. I use fglrx 8.20.8-1 built from from debian sid using
m-a for both kernels. This is a T43.

I'd like to investigate further and would be grateful for pointers on how to go
about doing that.

Regards,
ST