[ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:51:20 -0500

I suspect the newer model of T43 series should be avoided for now
because their PATA-SATA interface, which cause some grief for linux
kernel SATA code and need kernel patching. However some distribution
apparently already include the patch and T43 series represent a very
sweet set of designs and features. I advice you to take a look at
thinkwiki.org as there's a lot of installation notes from people.
And if you need modem to work, I suspect you'll need a driver that will
cost you around $15.  But other than to get the multimedia to work is
mostly a matter of which distribution to choose. Since you've already
known apt-get I suspect you want to try ubuntu, which is a combination
of newbie friendliness and debian convenience. Also the current
distribution of ubuntu breezy 5.10 already included a crucial kernel
patch dealing with SATA problem. Good luck.
Jiang