AW: [ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:53:30 +0100

------_=_NextPart_001_01C60880.A87C2449

Hi Cynthia,

>  I tried to share my coffee with my A20m and I think I've killed it.   =
I'm=20

If you're feeling adventurous you can try dunking the entire machine in =
isopryl alcohol. Never done this with a thinkpad, but it has saved other =
computers from the ills of being doused in beer.=20

You can get pure stuff (above 70%) from a medical supply store.

> shopping on eBay for a replacement.  I can't afford a very new one.  I =
don't=20
> know much about other models.  There seem to be a lot of T23 Thinkpads =
=20
> coming up in my searches, in my price range and with features I'd like =
to=20
> have.   I want to be able to view film clips (with sound!) in the more =
usual=20
> formats people are using. =20

My personal laptop is a T23 which I absolutely love. It runs great on =
any linux that's been on it up to now - red hat (7.3, 8, 9) debian (3.0) =
and debian-derivatives, and of course gentoo. Ubuntu should work fine as =
well.

>    Are there TP models to avoid, that have more problems with Linux =
than=20
> others?   Are there any that have a better track record with Linux =
than=20
> others?   It would be nice if I could use the same docking station and =

> swappable drives that I already have from the A20m.  =20

The T and A series can swap hardware. Another poster mentioned it, that =
the T23 even with the newer Ultrabay will accept stuff from the A20.

>   Would appreciate any advice on what models to consider and which to =
avoid.=20

If you can, always get a 'p' model. Those are the high end ones. Buying =
used there is almost no price difference between regular models, A =
models and P models.
=20
> I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about computers and Linux.  =
I know=20
> how to type "apt-get install" and I have someone I can call when I =
need help,=20
> that's about it!  I'm more interested in using my computer than in =
doing a=20
>lot of tinkering to get things to work.  .  =20

You should be able to install Ubuntu, for example, on any IBM Laptop =
from that era. (a20,21,22,30,31; t20,21,23; x20; r30)

HTH,

Chris

------_=_NextPart_001_01C60880.A87C2449

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>AW: [ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Cynthia,<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; I tried to share my coffee with my A20m and I think I've =
killed it.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm<BR>
<BR>
If you're feeling adventurous you can try dunking the entire machine in =
isopryl alcohol. Never done this with a thinkpad, but it has saved other =
computers from the ills of being doused in beer.<BR>
<BR>
You can get pure stuff (above 70%) from a medical supply store.<BR>
<BR>
&gt; shopping on eBay for a replacement.&nbsp; I can't afford a very new =
one.&nbsp; I don't<BR>
&gt; know much about other models.&nbsp; There seem to be a lot of T23 =
Thinkpads&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; coming up in my searches, in my price range and with features I'd =
like to<BR>
&gt; have.&nbsp;&nbsp; I want to be able to view film clips (with =
sound!) in the more usual<BR>
&gt; formats people are using.&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
My personal laptop is a T23 which I absolutely love. It runs great on =
any linux that's been on it up to now - red hat (7.3, 8, 9) debian (3.0) =
and debian-derivatives, and of course gentoo. Ubuntu should work fine as =
well.<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Are there TP models to avoid, that have more =
problems with Linux than<BR>
&gt; others?&nbsp;&nbsp; Are there any that have a better track record =
with Linux than<BR>
&gt; others?&nbsp;&nbsp; It would be nice if I could use the same =
docking station and<BR>
&gt; swappable drives that I already have from the A20m.&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
The T and A series can swap hardware. Another poster mentioned it, that =
the T23 even with the newer Ultrabay will accept stuff from the A20.<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Would appreciate any advice on what models to consider =
and which to avoid.<BR>
<BR>
If you can, always get a 'p' model. Those are the high end ones. Buying =
used there is almost no price difference between regular models, A =
models and P models.<BR>
<BR>
&gt; I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about computers and =
Linux.&nbsp; I know<BR>
&gt; how to type &quot;apt-get install&quot; and I have someone I can =
call when I need help,<BR>
&gt; that's about it!&nbsp; I'm more interested in using my computer =
than in doing a<BR>
&gt;lot of tinkering to get things to work.&nbsp; .&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
You should be able to install Ubuntu, for example, on any IBM Laptop =
from that era. (a20,21,22,30,31; t20,21,23; x20; r30)<BR>
<BR>
HTH,<BR>
<BR>
Chris</FONT>