AW: [ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:54:22 +0000

Meidinger Chris wrote:

> Hi Cynthia,
>
> >  I tried to share my coffee with my A20m and I think I've killed
> it.   I'm
>
> If you're feeling adventurous you can try dunking the entire machine
> in isopryl alcohol. Never done this with a thinkpad, but it has saved
> other computers from the ills of being doused in beer.
>
> You can get pure stuff (above 70%) from a medical supply store.
>
> > shopping on eBay for a replacement.  I can't afford a very new one.
> I don't
> > know much about other models.  There seem to be a lot of T23 Thinkpads
> > coming up in my searches, in my price range and with features I'd
> like to
> > have.   I want to be able to view film clips (with sound!) in the
> more usual
> > formats people are using.
>
> My personal laptop is a T23 which I absolutely love. It runs great on
> any linux that's been on it up to now - red hat (7.3, 8, 9) debian
> (3.0) and debian-derivatives, and of course gentoo. Ubuntu should work
> fine as well.
>
> >    Are there TP models to avoid, that have more problems with Linux than
> > others?   Are there any that have a better track record with Linux than
> > others?   It would be nice if I could use the same docking station and
> > swappable drives that I already have from the A20m.
>
> The T and A series can swap hardware. Another poster mentioned it,
> that the T23 even with the newer Ultrabay will accept stuff from the A20.
>
> >   Would appreciate any advice on what models to consider and which
> to avoid.
>
> If you can, always get a 'p' model. Those are the high end ones.
> Buying used there is almost no price difference between regular
> models, A models and P models.
>
> > I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about computers and
> Linux.  I know
> > how to type "apt-get install" and I have someone I can call when I
> need help,
> > that's about it!  I'm more interested in using my computer than in
> doing a
> >lot of tinkering to get things to work.  .
>
> You should be able to install Ubuntu, for example, on any IBM Laptop
> from that era. (a20,21,22,30,31; t20,21,23; x20; r30)
>
> HTH,
>
> Chris

Dont do anything till you have talked to either Bruce or Bill.
 Just dunking the whole machine is asking for trouble.
DONT DO IT TILL SOMEONE  WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING
HAS HAD A LOOK AT IT.
If you dunk it in alcohol or clean water it will get into every
connection ,the hard drive the cd rom, etc the screen innards.
 The most unwise suggestion I heard on this forum.
I deal in thinkpads ,strip and rebuild them.
the first thing one does is very carefully remove the keyboard then work
ones way down  slowly
and with great care. theres a 50% chance it would be salvageable if it
was in my hands.
C'mon bill and Bruce where are you ? to help this fair maid?
Sher' in your country.
Merry xmas to you all.