AW: [ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:36:36 -0500

Laurent Gilson wrote:
> Hello
>
>>> Dont do anything till you have talked to either Bruce or Bill.
>>> Just dunking the whole machine is asking for trouble.
>
> i agree. You have to remove the HD, optical stuff like CD/DVD and the LCD.
>
>> As a sound technician I've been cleaning mixing tables circuits for
>> years in the dish machine without problems.
>
> i agree again.
>
>> Best way to clean them is in the dish machine, no
>> detergent
>
> and at > 60 °C.
>
>> and obviously, wait 3-4 days until you're sure the part is
>> totally dry before plugging it in.
>>
>>> If you dunk it in alcohol or clean water it will get into every
>>> connection ,the hard drive the cd rom, etc the screen innards.
>>
>> All hd's today are sealed and no dust nor water can get in.
>
> i disagree:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harddisc
>
> The filters let pass air and some liquids. But not all. Some oils stay
> outside... for some time.Pure water and alcohol will pass.

Also, I never said "dunk".  Many circuit boards can easily be rinsed
with water and I have done so *MANY* times in the past, when I was
repairing circuit boards.  Incidentally, many circuit boards are cleaned
with steam or hot water, as part of the manufacturing process.  In fact,
 many are soldered using water soluable flux, so that hazarous solvents
aren't necessary.

I have never used water on a disk drive and you have to be careful with
keyboards.