[ltp] Fingerprint Reader

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:04:27 +0200

On 12/22/05, Wolfgang Karall <spiney@spiney.org> wrote:
> Seems like UPEK released the final version of their Bioapi BSP, just in
> time before the Beta expires at the end of the year. The download is
> available at http://www.upek.com/support/dl_linux_bsp.asp

To celebrate this, I wrote a script that handles all the awful
downloading, patching and tweaking needed to get the fingerprint
reader to work:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Script_for_enabling_the_fingerprint_reader

Just run it and voila, fingerprint support in (some of) your favorite
applications. And unlike the default installers of the packages
involved, it doesn't puke all over your filesystem.

The script currently works only on Fedora Core 4 (by explicit check
since I can't test it elsewhere) and doesn't include the xscreensaver
patching, so feel free to extend it on the Wiki.

Now's the time to biometrically protect your data, in case somebody
comes down the chimney!

  Shem