[ltp] Re: new T43 problems

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:23:27 +1300

On Sunday 25 December 2005 18:56, Josh wrote:

[ ... ]

> Has anyone had similar problems?
Yes. Take care never to mix Windows fdisk and Linux fdisk. They have
different ideas about counting the cylinders, and you can end up with
partitions overlapping by one cylinder if you are not careful.
Do check the table by printing it and checking the numbers.
fwiw, I used the Linux fdisk.

I'd suggest you partition the disk with a Linux fdisk create two FAT32
partitions. One for Windows and the other to reserve space for Linux.
On my R40 the default Windows needed about 3G. I believe later versions
need more.

Install windows on the first partition. ( Windows will change the
file-system to NTFS ) Check that Windows works.
Now use the Linux install disk to remove the second FAT32 partition, and
create the  Linux partitions as required by your Linux distro.
Install Linux. Ubuntu is indeed a good distribution.

> I don't know why I
> can't defragment the original partition and why Ubuntu
> won't install.
You will find reading this URL to be very pertinent:-
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

In particular make sure you have the latest version of ntfsresize in the
rescue disk setup you are using.

> I need a dual-boot system, and I read
> that Ubuntu works well on the T43.
ThinkPads run linux very well.

Have a happy day, or what's left of it in your part of the world.

--
CS