[ltp] Re: T43 and Linux problems

Josh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 04:55:44 -0800 (PST)

I saw a couple of replies to my original post and am
going to take a closer look at them.  I just finished
my 4th attempt at getting Linux on the T43.  I finally
got Ubuntu to install, but it's not a dual boot
system.  At least I know that Linux installs.  With
help on IRC I installed just the base Ubuntu server,
and then typed:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gdm xserver-xorg

The went through:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
as best as I could.

Rebooted.

Ubuntu works now, but it's not dual boot.  I'll have
to start over with Windows first but at least I know
that Linux can be installed.

I just read on a web page
(http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2285)
that you can install a second hard drive that can be
booted to.  Maybe this would be an option -- Keep XP
on the 60 GB drive and put another drive with Linux on
it in the "Ultrabay"(?).  I'd rather buy another hard
drive than spend two more days trying to figure out
time-consuming workarounds to get a dual boot system.
I'm behind on work already because my other laptop
suddenly broke.  I use Linux most of the time but also
need XP occasionally.

Would it work to add another HD for Ubuntu, while
leaving the Windows drive alone as it was for the
factory install? (or vice versa, Ubuntu on the main
drive and XP on the additional drive.)

Thanks,

Josh

Just $16.99/mo. or less.