[ltp] Immortal process that does not let the computer to sleep.

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 07:59:21 -0500

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 01:38:18PM +0100, Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n wrot=
e:
> Hi,
>=20
> Some days ago I tried to 'cat' a file in the /proc system, but it didn't
> work, the process hung and would not respond to a "kill -9". I tried
> closing the terminal (it was inside Konsole) and restarting the X server,
> but the process was still there. The real problem is I could not suspend
> the computer, because of this process, it said something like: "Strange,
> bash doesn't want to stop" (of course, the culprit was the 'cat' under
> 'bash'). So, at the end I had to reboot the computer to get rid of this
> process.
>=20
> Is there any other thing I could try in case this happens again?
try us pstree to see what's the parent process of the bash. And try to=20
kill that. If that fail, try doing init 1 to single user mode, and then=20
init 5 back to GUI.
Jiang