[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #1122 - 20 msgs

Josh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:45:35 -0800 (PST)

(http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2285)
> that you can install a second hard drive that can be
> booted to.  Maybe this would be an option -- Keep XP
> on the 60 GB drive and put another drive with Linux
on
> it in the "Ultrabay"(?).  I'd rather buy another
hard
> drive than spend two more days trying to figure out
> time-consuming workarounds to get a dual boot
system.
> I'm behind on work already because my other laptop
> suddenly broke.  I use Linux most of the time but
also
> need XP occasionally.
>
> Would it work to add another HD for Ubuntu, while
> leaving the Windows drive alone as it was for the
> factory install? (or vice versa, Ubuntu on the main
> drive and XP on the additional drive.)

>The dual boot problem would probably be the same
whether you use
> 2 OSes on 2 different partitions or on 2 different
disks. It's
> more a matter of correctly configuring your
bootloader, be it
> grub or lilo.

The problem wasn't with the boot loader -- it was with
getting Linux installed in the first place.  I can't
resize my NTFS partition, and Ubuntu installs always
fail, except when I installed just the server and then
downloaded the rest from the terminal.  I'm running
Ubuntu right now.

If I get the Ultrabay hard drive, can't I choose which
drive it boots up in with the bios?  I used Windows so
infrequently, I could probably even just swap the hard
drives when I need Windows.  It looks like the hard
drive only has one screw...