[ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Susan Thomas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:49:02 -0500

Cynthia,

>    Are there TP models to avoid, that have more problems with Linux
> than others?  Are there any that have a better track record with
> Linux than others?  It would be nice if I could use the same docking
> station and swappable drives that I already have from the A20m.
> Would appreciate any advice on what models to consider and which to
> avoid.
>
> I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about computers and Linux.
> I know how to type "apt-get install" and I have someone I can call
> when I need help, that's about it!  I'm more interested in using my
> computer than in doing a lot of tinkering to get things to work.  .

Since I have pretty much the same approach to computers as you do,
here's my feedback:

* I recently installed Debian off a Knoppix (ver 4.0, 23rd Sep) CD on
  an (old) T23 and a (new) T43.
* The live CD worked like a charm on both machines.
* The installed Debian worked beautifully on the T23.
* But it had some weird issues with the order of modules loaded for
  the T43 for some weird reason. The module that created the problem
  was the wireless ethernet one. I have to remove and reload the
  ipw2200 module each time I boot the machine.
* I've yet to get the suspend-when-lid-is-down working for the T43.

For the rest, they are great little machines, purring along perfectly,
doing pretty much what I want them to do. Me likes. :-)

      -Susan
Susan Thomas          Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
susant@mayin.org                      Goregaon (East), Bombay 400 065
http://www.igidr.ac.in/~susant                       +91-22-2840-0919