AW: [ltp] Thorsten Duechting is out of the office.

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:39:21 +1300

--nextPart2236898.SlSWazzkKi

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:17, Markus Alt wrote:

> Regarding these "out of office" mails, I agree that they're annoying.
> However, the OoO function in Lotus Notes allows to define exceptions -
> either to not send replies to all Internet (i.e. non-corporate) mail or
> to exclude specific persons/groups. Sadly enough, some people don't use
> these options or forget to set it up before they leave. But I wouldn't
> assume that they do it by intention.
>
> So kindly asking them to do that next time would be the best way to make
> them become aware of the problem IMHO.

Nice advice, although I believe I've read such communications to Herr=20
Duechting in the past.  I hope he figures it out this time.

Out of this, there is the general idea of taking responsibility for the=20
avatars I release into the world.  For instance, people allowing their=20
broadband connected computers to become spam or DOS zombies - whose=20
responsibility is it?  Monetary damages are widely dispersed, so not so eas=
y=20
to see - but the damage is real to real people in real businesses.  And the=
ir=20
families.

In this particular case, IBM gets the black mark by association - why do th=
ey=20
allow it to continue?

Not too long from now, we will have computer programs running autonomous=20
machines, and the issue of being responsible for what your avatars do will=
=20
become quite noticeable - cars can kill people.

Cheers,
Bret