[ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:42:56 +1300

--nextPart20290041.6nYeHd3mM5

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:48, cyne wrote:
> On Saturday 24 December 2005 3:47, Ted Frater wrote:
> > Its a pleasant change to see a poster actually think to give their
> > location.
>
>   I'm on a few email lists where it's a rule,  so it's in my sig file!=20
> Thanks to all for the advice, it'll help me figure out what to do!

I have a friend who is the victim of identity theft.  I don't have a specif=
ic=20
use case for a vulnerability due to email publishing, but I think it's unwi=
se=20
to put too much identifying information out into public like this.

We now know your full name and the town you live in, and that you are at le=
ast=20
associated with enough money to have a Thinkpad.

And this will be archived for anyone to find (with Google's efficient help)=
,=20
for the foreseeable future.

I live in New Zealand, and just now they're getting around to restricting=20
access to driver's license information because of stalkers.  Bloody about=20
time.

I recommend you remove your last name and the town you live in.  Knowing "U=
SA"=20
really ought to be enough for any legitimate purpose on the list, with=20
private messages providing anything else you deem appropriate for a specifi=
c=20
communication on a case by case basis.

There is NO privacy on the Internet.  None.  Your own personal integrity wi=
ll=20
not shield you from people who don't reciprocate.

Tell your other mailing lists to join the 21st century, which is no more or=
=20
less unpleasant than the last one, but which is heavily automated.

Regards,
Bret