[ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:26:54 -0800

thinking wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 08:42 am, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>
>> I recommend you remove your last name and the town you live in.  Knowing
>> "USA" really ought to be enough for any legitimate purpose on the list,
>> with private messages providing anything else you deem appropriate for a
>> specific communication on a case by case basis.
>>
> Somebody would have to go to a lot of trouble to stalk me, and I can't
> imagine it would be very interesting.  If a person wanted to follow me and my
> two Rottweilers around the farm and help with the chores,  I've got a spare
> manure fork around here someplace.

It took me less than 30 seconds on a publicly available website to
surmise that your full name is "Cynthia D Eliason", you live at 104
[street name rhymes with raisin] Rd, you were born in August, 1954, and
your phone number is (603) xxx-2395.  Granted, this level of detail can
be found on most anyone, but, for instance, if you were to post a
controversial opinion which an unbalanced person took issue with, they
could use the information I just found with no effort whatsoever and
make things unpleasant for you.

I'm originally from Iowa, so I grew up assuming you could trust the
people you know, but you should be aware of the risks...

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.