[ltp] Shopping for a Thinkpad

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:15:41 +1300

--nextPart3380229.U9tsDIbWDj

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 06:48, Ted Frater wrote:

> Hi Bret, I think your beng ultra cautious.
>  Afterall New Hamapshire is about the size of one of the New Zealand
> islands.
> Not exactly saying where she  lives.

Read it again - she mentions the town she lives in AND her full name!

Whether it's wise to list the state would perhaps depend on that state's=20
policy regarding giving out DMV (Driver's license) information to strangers=
=20
for a fee (used to be policy in almost all states, now they're locking it=20
down).

With her town information and last name, she would be easy to find, and=20
probably easy to start intercepting her mail for ID theft or other purposes=
=2E =20
That's far too much information, and there's no good reason to supply that =
to=20
a public mailing list.  You can't put the devil back in the bottle once it'=
s=20
out.

I don't wear seat belts because I intend to crash - I wear them because oth=
er=20
people might cause the crash for me, and the price can be very high.  Havin=
g=20
spent several months talking with my friend whose identity was stolen, I kn=
ow=20
how high the price can be, and I also know that there is almost no legal=20
support for the victim - they lose thousands and thousands of dollars, and=
=20
there's no way to simply stop it, no way to be sure it's over.

The price is very high.

Cheers,
Bret