[ltp] TP600E and extra hard drive

David linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 07:51:43 -0600

Christopher Sawtell wrote:

>On Wednesday 28 December 2005 06:32, David wrote:
>

>>Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) wrote:

>>>Post the output lines of this:
>>>fdisk -l /dev/hdc
>>>

>>DsTP:/home/david # fdisk -l /dev/hdc
>>
>>Disk /dev/hdc: 6007 MB, 6007357440 bytes
>>255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 730 cylinders
>>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>
>>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>/dev/hdc1               1         730     5863693+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
>>

>ok so there is a partition table entry, now lets see if the file command
>thinks there is a file-system on that partition.
>As root do:-
>file -s /dev/hdc1
>and you should get a reply telling you that there is file-system data.
>If that seems correct you might care to check the consistency of the
>file-system with:-
>fsck.vfat -n /dev/hdc1
>The -n flag will check the file-system, but not make any changes.
>fsck.vfat --help   will give you the whole gamut of options.
>
>Get back to us with the results.
>
>hth ymmv etc

Well group I remedied the problem. I got the clues here from all of you.
I am not sure exactly what happened but here is what I found. I have a
small DOS partition on this laptop that I use to hold the PS2.EXE BIOS
configuration. I had created the file system with that using DOS living
on that partition. I could see and use the filesystem created using that
DOS partition. When I tried to use it while in linux, there was no
filesystem. (this doesn't make sense to me). I have done this many times
before.  I just went ahead and created the FS on my other hard drive
using linux and viola the hard drive showed up. I can now see it with
both DOS and linux. Go figure. Thanks for all the response. I guess it's
the small things that are often overlooked. I was looking for all the
hard things and did not even look at this.

David