[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Henrik Brix Andersen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:30:11 +0100

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:13:41PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> I didn't realise this. I know you can get a stage 3 install - but
> that doesn't give me any of the GUI applications.  How do you get
> binary packages?

You use our Gentoo Package CD which contains pre-compiled packages of
the most popular applications.

> If using binaries, are these regularly updates (eg with security
> updates?)

No, you would have to compile the updated packages yourself - or wait
for our next biannual release.

> Could I, initially, choose to install Gentoo as if it were Mandrake
> (i.e. selecting a package repository, installing a few hundred
> packages), and then recompile the system as I become familiar with
> it?

Apart from selecting a package repository (you install the binary
packages from CD-ROM), yes.

> That sounds useful. Does the faster machine have to run gentoo as well?

No, it just needs to have the same version of GCC installed, see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

Regards,
Brix
--=20
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3--