[ltp] Thinkpad R40 mic input and phantom power

Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:29:21 +0000

Ben Pearre wrote:
> Thanks!  In case anyone else is interested: it turns out that there's
> 4.77 volts across the pins (at least, on my R40; YMMV etc).  That
> counts as a "bias voltage", not as "phantom power" which is usually
> somewhere in the 9V--56V range.
>
> The mic in question (Audio Technica AT822) is a condenser, but is
> self-powered with an AA battery and doesn't want phantom power.

That's interesting. I didn't really appreciate the difference between
bias voltage (which will power a small electret+FET) and phantom power
(which will power a pre-amplifier).

Anyway, if you want to block it, it depends how sensitive the MIC is to
the bias voltage ever being applied. If it can cope briefly, just put a
a capacitor in series. If it cannot, then use a transformer:

 I     }  ||  {        Pad

You'd need some care selecting the transformer - it mustn't short out
the bias voltage (so the secondary needs a high enough DC resistance) -
and it must cope with a small DC current.

Richard