[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:42:34 +0100

--=-8gsliYECxyOS9MQ/9QsD

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 16:13 +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> Thanks - that's very helpful,
>=20
> Soren Harward wrote:
>=20
> >>I'm considering making the leap from Mandriva to Gentoo on the A22p.
> >>There are lots of advantages, but I don't know if the machine has eithe=
> >>the horsepower or disk space to compile from source.
> >=20
> >=20
> > You probably knew this already, but compiling from source is not
> > absolutely necessary when running Gentoo.
> >=20
> I didn't realise this. I know you can get a stage 3 install - but that
> doesn't give me any of the GUI applications.  How do you get binary
> packages? If using binaries, are these regularly updates (eg with
> security updates?) Could I, initially, choose to install Gentoo as if it
> were Mandrake (i.e. selecting a package repository, installing a few
> hundred packages), and then recompile the system as I become familiar
> with it?
> >=20
> >>Has anyone else done this successfully?
> >=20
> >=20
> > If you have a faster machine available, you can always use distcc to
> > compile most of your packages.  When you set distcc up on the laptop,
> > put the faster machine first in the list of distcc hosts, such as:
> >=20
> >    /usr/bin/distcc-config --set-hosts "192.168.1.2 127.0.0.1"
> >=20
> > where 192.168.1.2 is the other, more powerful machine.  This will cause
> > distcc to use the other machine preferentially for compiling.  emerges
> > will go noticeably faster.
>=20
> That sounds useful. Does the faster machine have to run gentoo as well?
>=20
Yes, the other machine have to run gentoo and the same compiler version
as well. But you can use the boot cd to run distcc. I installed for
myself a gentoo compile system on a small partition on my desktop, works
great.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

read it for yoursef

> Richard

Greetz

Konstantin Filtschew

--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-8gsliYECxyOS9MQ/9QsD

--=-8gsliYECxyOS9MQ/9QsD--