[ltp] t42 and dual-head/mergedfb

Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:45:10 +0100

--------------050705020702060800050405

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 12/29/05, Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski <svs@talicom.de> wrote:
>> hi list,
>>
>> i'm owning a t42 (2373-5wg) with an ati radeon 7500 (Radeon Mobility M7
>> LW) with 32MB ram. I tried to connect an external monitor (a 19" tft and
>> a possible resolution of 1280x1024) to expand my screen, not cloning. My
>> ThinkPad LCD is able to show 1024x768. At first i tried to use mergedfb.
>> It works, but then my thinkpad lcd has a virtual 1280x1024 resolution
>> and i have to scroll. But i do not like this!!!
>
> if you are using xorg cvs/6.9/7.0 you can enable the mergedfb
> non-rectangluar option to disable the scrolling in the smaller head.
Okay. Thats a fine thing. I have to look how i can use that
xorg-versions with my opensuse. They are using 6.8. Hmm...

>> So i tried to use two devices, two monitors and two screens with
>> xinerama. When I start x, my kde is on the right side open and my mouse
>> pointer disappers. But the problem is, that the graphic card does not
>> enable the external output and my tft gets no signal.
>>
>> Perhaps the following line of my xorg-log is the reason:
>> (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
>> disabled
>
> for some reason your second head is not being detected.  you need to
> force it on.
Do you mean the flag, which you described below?

>> Does anybody knows, how to activate this?
>
> add this option to your first device section:
> Option "monitorlayout" "LVDS, CRT"
I tried this flag, but it does not matter. It is quite interesting: on
booting my external display shows the same like my thinkpad lcd. But
when my x starts, my external tft loses its signal... When i switch back
to a console, my external tft is reconnected and shows the console.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

> Alex
>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Sebastian
>>
>> Here is my xorg.conf:
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>    Identifier   "Layout[all]"
>>    InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
>>    InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
>>    # Option       "Clone" "on"
>>    Option       "Xinerama" "on"
>>    Screen       0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
>>    Screen       1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>    DefaultDepth 24
>>    SubSection "Display"