[ltp] single-bank vs. double-bank RAM

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:43:25 +0100

Hi there,

I just bought some memory-upgrade for my t42p. after installing the
512mb pc2700, everything went fine - even memtest86+ doesn't throw any
errors.

Just for fun, I started dmidecode and realized, that there must be some
difference between my two 512mb-modules:

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: DIMM Slot 1
        Bank Connections: 0 1
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: DIMM SDRAM
        Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: DIMM Slot 2
        Bank Connections: 2 3
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: DIMM SDRAM
        Installed Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Does anybody know if there's a disadvantage for my thinkpad, when the
second DIMM is labeled "Single-bank Connection"? - I don't even know
what this Double-vs.-Singe-bank-thing means...

Thanks a lot in advance,
thomas

Thomas Breitner

mail@tombreit.de   |   http://www.tombreit.de