[ltp] t42 and dual-head/mergedfb

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:51:32 -0500

On Friday 30 December 2005 08:45 am, Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On 12/29/05, Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski <svs@talicom.de> wrote:
> >> hi list,
> >>
> >> i'm owning a t42 (2373-5wg) with an ati radeon 7500 (Radeon Mobility M7
> >> LW) with 32MB ram. I tried to connect an external monitor (a 19" tft and
> >> a possible resolution of 1280x1024) to expand my screen, not cloning. My
> >> ThinkPad LCD is able to show 1024x768. At first i tried to use mergedfb.
> >> It works, but then my thinkpad lcd has a virtual 1280x1024 resolution
> >> and i have to scroll. But i do not like this!!!
> >
> > if you are using xorg cvs/6.9/7.0 you can enable the mergedfb
> > non-rectangluar option to disable the scrolling in the smaller head.
>
> Okay. Thats a fine thing. I have to look how i can use that
> xorg-versions with my opensuse. They are using 6.8. Hmm...
>
> >> So i tried to use two devices, two monitors and two screens with
> >> xinerama. When I start x, my kde is on the right side open and my mouse
> >> pointer disappers. But the problem is, that the graphic card does not
> >> enable the external output and my tft gets no signal.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the following line of my xorg-log is the reason:
> >> (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
> >> disabled
> >
> > for some reason your second head is not being detected.  you need to
> > force it on.
>
> Do you mean the flag, which you described below?
>
> >> Does anybody knows, how to activate this?
> >
> > add this option to your first device section:
> > Option "monitorlayout" "LVDS, CRT"
>
> I tried this flag, but it does not matter. It is quite interesting: on
> booting my external display shows the same like my thinkpad lcd. But
> when my x starts, my external tft loses its signal... When i switch back
> to a console, my external tft is reconnected and shows the console.
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian.
>
> > Alex
> >
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Sebastian
> >>
> >> Here is my xorg.conf:
> >> Section "ServerLayout"
> >>    Identifier   "Layout[all]"
> >>    InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
> >>    InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
> >>    # Option       "Clone" "on"
> >>    Option       "Xinerama" "on"
> >>    Screen       0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
> >>    Screen       1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Screen"
> >>    DefaultDepth 24
> >>    SubSection "Display"
> >>      Depth      24
> >>      Modes      "1024x768"
> >>    EndSubSection
> >>    Device       "Device[0]"
> >>    Identifier   "Screen[0]"
> >>    Monitor      "Monitor[0]"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Screen"
> >>    DefaultDepth 24
> >>    SubSection "Display"
> >>      Depth      24
> >>      Modes      "1280x1024"
> [...]

I have a similar setup on a T40.  After switching to Mandriva 2006, the
xinerama no longer works with Xorg 6.9, but works with the previous release's
Xorg 6.8.2.

Alex, could you perhaps annotate the xorg.conf file above or possibly post
your own file and indicate your hardware.
Looking forward to helping Sebastian et al. troubleshoot this annoying problem
as soon as I'm back in the office next week.
TIA
Paul