[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:29:38 +1300

--nextPart3795511.dCBpMUBqfa

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:12, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> > Oh, yes it does.  X, OpenOffice, KDE or Gnome, full build chain.  You'll
> > have a basic working system just like Debian or Kubuntu.
>
> Not true. A stage3 install doesn't provide a graphical environment
> such as X11. You can install X11 either from the Gentoo Package CD or
> by compiling it using `emerge xorg-x11`.

Semantics?

The addition of group packages is an optional step, like several others, th=
at=20
can be done during a Stage 3 install (in the big sense of doing the overall=
=20
stage 3 install).  After one steps past this process, by doing just about=20
anything else, this option expires, and one can't install group packages=20
anymore.

Although adding group packages occurs near the end of the process, and is=20
optional, it only makes sense in the context of a Stage 3 install, and so I=
=20
consider it a part.

You may group the actions differently.   I consider the option, and the=20
actions, of installing group packages to be a part (albeit optional) of a=20
stage 3 install - and that provides a working X GUI and office packages.

You may disagree (and you might convince me as well - but this is how I thi=
nk=20
of it for now though).

Cheers,
Bret