[ltp] T43 or T43p and APM?

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:49:25 +0100

I'm looking for a new laptop for someone that just needs a 100.000%
reliable system running under LINUX.  There should be *no* issues ever
with Suspend to RAM or Suspend to Disk.  Long battery life and noise
(e.g. from the fan) is not much of an issue.

Currently, I own a T41 and I know that with ACPI things don't work 100%
reliable.  Rarely the system doesn't wake up from Suspend to RAM and the
current kernel + suspend2 combination that I've installed doesn't work
for suspending to disk.  So, I wonder:

   Using a T43 or T43p plus a vanilla 2.6 kernel, does APM work 100%
   reliable?

I.e.:

   Does supending to RAM *and* to Disk work 100% reliable?

If not, what alternatives are there?  Please don't recommend used systems.

Although this is not an issue in the aforementioned case, I'd like to
know nevertheless:

* Occasionally one reads that APM causes more battery drain than ACPI,
   even if *no* ACPI tricks are used such as underclocking the CPU or
   GPU.  Could someone give detailed explanations?

* Is there a tool to change the CPU power scheme (maximum power, minimum
   power, power throttling on demand, etc.) set in the T4x's APM BIOS
   from LINUX?

--
Felix E. Klee