[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:12:18 +0100

Dirk Deimeke <debian@deimeke.net> writes:

> I think I will try to get an USB-Floppy-Drive.

You will still have to run the DOS (or Windows) extractor to get the
floppy image.  This is the hardest part IMHO.  If only IBM could
provide the raw images...

I played with the thought of setting up an automated get-the-ibm-file-
extract-and-serve-img-and-iso thingy, but found that IBM has been
using different software (at first I didn't understand the talk about
wine).  The latest BIOS is easily extratcted in an automated fashion,
using dosemu.  But the older ones are not.  They need wine and a lot
of mouse action.  Arrgh.

I might however be convinced to provide the newer images.  I'm just
not sure about the license.  It looks OK, but IANAL...

Everything would have been so much easier if IBM just provided raw
floppy images, and preferably iso images too.  I really don't see any
valid reason why they wouldn't.  Execpt that noone else does, so why
should IBM be any better than the rest of the bunch?

Bjørn