[ltp] TP600 harddrive

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:35:07 -0600

linuxtuxhellsinki@spymac.com wrote:

>     Thanks for your answers. I feel now confident enough to buy one
>     from E'bay
>     or some site with used drives.

Even though it is just an old 600, do you really want to trust your data
to a used drive with unknown history?  Laptop hard drives get bounced
around a lot more than desktop drives.

>     I think some 20Gb is enough for me. Now I've
>     about 1.5Gb for windoze and rest 3.5 to Gentoo. Doze just for if I
>     sell
>     machine & buyer want that, I'm not using that (only move some files to
>     /mnt/win/Linuxprogs/ when I need some space in Gentoo ;)
>
>     So, I think my drive is 12.5mm and somebody said that also
>     9mm works ??

I just looked at the 600/600E Hardware Maintenance Manual, and it looks
like you might have a 9mm drive already.  Anyway, even in the 600E one
can have a 12.5mm drive, it is more modern laptops that cannot accept
the 12.5mm drive.  9mm is no problem.  I have a 9mm drive in a 600E and
there is just a little space above it.  When you remove the drive
(remove drive screw, pull off plastic cover, pull drive out) you will
see that the drive is attached to a metal shell with four screws.  Just
remove the screws, slide the drive out of the shell, and transfer the
shell (don't leave out the plastic insulator under the drive) to your
new hard drive.  Since the metal shell only covers the bottom and sides
of the drive it doesn't matter if the drive is 9mm or 12.5 mm high.  You
will see, it is easy to do.

wes