[ltp] TPM under TP42 and Linux 2.6.11rc2

Ulrich Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:31:59 +0100

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:00 +0100, Jerome Poggi wrote:
> Did somebody try to install TPM driver http://thinkwiki.org/Tpm under
> T4x and especially T42.
>
> For me the compilation work correctly (exept some warning) but when I
> try to load the module I get this Error
>
> FATAL: Error inserting tpm (/lib/modules/2.6.11-rc2/misc/tpm.ko): No such device
>
> and in dmesg :
>
> tpm: Atmel TPM version 1.1.0.6
> tpm: StartUp failed
> tpm: PhysicalPresence failed

Don't know about the driver from the Wiki page, I experimented with the
IBM driver (version 1.1, modified to compile for 2.6). Acutally, I did
not activate the TPM, but did not get problems installing the driver and
doing some tests with the TPM. It worked for me.

I think that the line "tpm: PhysicalPresence failed" says that during
boot (at power-on), you did not establish physical presence of the
system owner, which is done by holding down the fn-key. I further guess
that the TPM is still "unowner", i.e. you did not execute the
TakeOwnership command on it, did you?

Maybe this helps a bit.

Ulrich