[ltp] Hoary Thinkpad T40 hang on APM battery? - SOLVED

Justin Mason linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:37:45 -0800

OK, it seems I've found the problem -- it's laptop-mode.

Something in laptop-mode doesn't work well with the madwifi drivers and 2.6.x
on the Thinkpad T40.   I think it's when laptop-mode causes the disk to spin
down, then activity requires the disk to spin up -- at this point the machine
hangs hard (not even processing keyboard interrupts).

I had noted laptop-mode causing crashes before, when I was running Debian, and
had 'apt-get remove'd it.  But it appears Ubuntu Hoary installed and enabled it
by default, which I hadn't noticed until I spotted that 'cat
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode' reported '2' instead of '0'...

"apt-get remove laptop-mode laptop-mode-tools" did the trick.

Ubuntu folks -- filed as bug 6108.

--j.