[ltp] Hibernate on R50

Ulrich Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:28:17 +0100

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 19:53 +0100, Emmanuel Doguet wrote:
>         Hi !
>
> Now  I  use Debian (the best :D), and I have compiled the 2.6.8 kernel
> for use ACPI & hibernate.
>
> Hibernate  seem  to  work  with (echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep) ... but at
> restart, resume don't work. And the Swap is "bad signature".
>
> An idea ?

Hi Emmanuel,

Just a wild guess: do you encrypt your swap space? I.e. have you
installed the cryptsetup package?

Furthermore, what software suspend system do you use? The in-kernel one?
At the time the 2.6.8 kernel was current, I did not get it to work, so I
switched to suspend2, which comes as a kernel patch. That one is really
great (and in the future, it will hopefully end up in the mainstream
kernel)! Have a look at
http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/Software-suspend.html

Also, you might want to switch to a more recent kernel. I having good
success here with the 2.6.10 kernel with suspend2 version 2.1.5.15 on my
T41.

One additional point, you might have to unload some modules before
suspend and have them reloaded after resume. Especially the usb module
ehci_hcd (maybe also uhci_hcd) is known to cause some trouble of this
sort. So better have them not compiled into the kernel. There are
scripts available to handle this issue comfortably, you might have a
look at the hibernate script which comes along with suspend2.

I hope this helps a bit.

Ulrich