[ltp] T-42p external VGA not working...

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:12:34 -0500

** Reply to message from Oren Gross <oreng@snapcentric.com> on Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:27:56 +0200

Hello,

I'm certainly not an X guru, but this hack worked for me on SuSE 9.1....

For my T42p I did the following:
1)  I installed X using the internal display.  Then I saved the XF86Config
file in a subdirectory
2)  Then I restarted using my mini-dock and the external monitor.  I
got X working in that configuration (I may have used SaX2 - don't remember).
3) Then I used xvidtune on the result of 2) to get everything just so.  Then I saved
a copy of that XF86Config
4)  I just swap XF86Config files depending upon whether I'm booting
internal or external display.  I do that automatically by selecting one of two
entries on the boot menu.

The two screens are different resolutions, but I never use both the internal and
external displays at the same and so have no problems.

Good luck.

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman