[ltp] ThinkPad T42p internal modem

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:18:58 +0100

On Sa, 2005-02-05 at 19:30 -0600, David Ayers wrote:
>Modem: Intel Corp 82801 DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4L/ICH4M) AC'97 modem
controller (rev 1)

AFAIK that's "only" the bridge to the chipset. The actual modem hardware
can be very different (and need different drivers).

There are some ressources about the problems to identify softmodems on
the scanmodem page:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodem

> Am I missing the right driver for this modem?

Probably.

I left my "knowledge" of the two softmodem version I used on
http://www.thinkwiki.org/Modem

My T40p modem did work with the free slmodem driver, but the one in my
T42p works fine (only?) with the commercial driver from Linuxant linked
to on the page above.

I found the same hint on:
http://pmw.org/~gardnerj/Thinkpad/Install.html
and indeed, in a very quick test I made with the T42p and the slmodem
driver, it could communicate with the modem via AT commands, but NOT
dialout. Now THIS seems to be able to cost one some time..!

Greetings, UW(e)