[ltp] Smartlink modem issues continued ;(

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:15:09 +0100

Hi there,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:40:38 +0100, Tomek Jarzynka <tomeej@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 30 of January 2005 17:53, Uwe Walter wrote:
> > Which version of the smartlink driver are you using?
> > (Current is: 2.9.10, but even tow or three minor version before that I
> > hardly had any negotiation problems left...)
>
> That's the one I have. I, to the contrary, read somewhere that downgrading
> to a certain version works. Unfortunately, that release doesn't support the
> 2.6 kernel and I'd sooner buy a PCMCIA modem than downgrade to 2.4.

That was me mentioning that (I guess, at least I did mention it).
2.9.7 wouldn't work at all for me, so I went back to 2.7.something.
But with my upgrade to 2.6 I also had to upgrade the drivers - and
2.9.10 works just fine for me except for home, where the phone line is
rather noisy and therefore the modem looses connection every once in a
while. My Elsa 56k USB does not... so the smartlink does not seem to
be as robust.

Here, where I am connected to an ISDN phone system, I can be online
for half a day without any problems...

My next bet: Are you using ACPI throttling? (cat
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/throttling) The slmodemd needs very low
latencies which are destroyed by throttling...

HTH, Heiko