[ltp] USB failure: fix

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:50:32 -0500

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:38:03 -0700 (MST)
"M. Leo Cooper" <thegrendel@theriver.com> wrote:

> FC3 (2.6.9): TP770Z
>
> Sometimes the HAL daemon, hald, unexpectedly dies. When this happens,
> plugging in a USB device and attempting to mount it gives you a
> "/dev/sda1 not found" error.

> The fix is absurdly simple. Just type  hald  at the command line in
> an xterm.

> A real fix would probably involve a kernel patch. Ah, well, hopefully
> this is fixed in 2.6.10+.

As another poster says, this is quite likely a hal problem - hal's not
creating the mount point for your usb device like it normally does while
it's running.  I'd be surprised if you can't mount the device manually as
root after hald dies.

I have one USB device (an Iomega CD burner) that simply won't work
right UNLESS you kill off hald first, though I think they finally fixed
that particular bug in the latest hal release.

I'm hoping the fix for NEC-based USB2 cards lands in 2.6.11, myself.  It's
been broken since 2.6.5, which means I have to keep a 2.6.5 lernel around
just to burn CDs at high speed.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/