[ltp] SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:23:56 +0000

> Does anyone know what this does?  There's no info on this, in the help
> center.  Also, using IBM Thinkpad Laptop, requires /dev/nvram
> permissions to be set to 664 or 666, instead of the default 600.
> However, even though I can set this manually, it does not stay through a
> reboot.  I have tried adding the command to boot.local, but it doesn't
> appear to work there either.  Is there any way, to make the permissions
> stick?

It allows you to have feedback from KDE when using the Thinkpad buttons
(volume, luminosity, light) and also it allows you to run given programs when
you hit a button, like the blue Access BM button. It is like tpb but specific
to the KDE environment (and much "prettier" IMHO).

Info + screenshot at:

As for the permissions /dev/nvram, if you use udev, you can change them in
in /etc/udev/permissions.d either modify the existing 50-udev.permissions or
create a new file which contain:

misc/nvram:root:root:0664

I hope this helps,

JP