[ltp] switch between clone mode and second screen

obi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:03:42 -0800

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 03:54:49PM -0800, Osho GG wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:34 am, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:30:06 +0100, Ulrich Kuehn <ukuehn@acm.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am just wondering if there is a way to switch the external DAC output
> > > between clone mode and a second, independent screen.
> > >
> > > My reasoning is as follows: I have a 17" monitor with 1280x1024
> > > resolution which I would like to use in addition to the internal
> > > display. Using the ServerLayout section in XF86Config works fine here.
> > >
> > > But for giving presentations on a typical beamer, the resolution is just
> > > too high, usual is 1024x768; furthermore I like to see what's beamed to
> > > the wall. So the clone mode is the method of choice here.
> > >
> > > Is there a tool that allows to switch between both modes without
> > > restarting X? I am aware that only the internal display would probably
> > > be cloned, not the external.
> > >
> > > Can someone give me hint with this issue?
> >
> > If you are using a radeon, take a look at MergedFB.  It should do what you
> > want.
> >

> I think it is not possible to do what you want without having to restart X.
>
> I thought MergedFB would just clone the same display on internal and external
> screen. Isn't that correct?

I'm using MergedFB and I can add/remove the external monitor and using
xrandr (in my case I'm using the gnome applet) X will be resized on the
fly with no need to restart X. Great job on the radeon driver!

graziano