xorg's radeon driver (was: Re: [ltp] switch between clone mode and second screen)

Johannes Wolter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:44 +0100

Hi!

On Thursday 10 February 2005 14:23, Uwe Walter wrote:
> On Mi, 2005-02-09 at 16:03 -0800, obi wrote:
> > Great job on the radeon driver!
>
> I would like to emphasize this.
>
> After suffering just too long from ATI's fglrx driver and staring two
> months on an external panel connected via VGA (because of the broken
> DVI), I went through the (not too big) hassle, finally installed XOrg on
> my debian system and gave the open source radeon driver a new try.

Is there any (reliable) apt source for XOrg-Debianpackages?

Can anybody tell me the difference between the XFree "ati" driver and the XOrg
"radeon" driver? I've a X31 with a radeon M6 and experienced ACPI-S3 hangups
which are possibly caused by the graphics driver (I'm using the XFree "ati").

I hope it's not a stupid question, but I was always a bit confused by the
different drivers.

Thanks!
Johannes