[ltp] FC3 wrongly mounted an NTFS partn for a FAT32 partn

Andreas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:52:42 +0100

Hello,

> When I "mount -t  vfat /dev/hda5 /vfat_hda5",  but then "ls -l
> /vfat_hda5" actually showed the content of /dev/hda6 i.e. my NTFS
> partn!!!!!  So I thought might be fdisk was reporting the wrong partn
> no, but then trying all other hdaN didn't help.

"mount -t vfat [..]" shouldn't mount a ntfs partition at all but fail. Are you
sure you created the correct filesystems on the partitions? In my experience
Win is sometimes a bit funny with assigning the drive letters.

> Hda5 & hda6 are in the same "Logical" partn (hda2) created by PartnMagic
> 8.0,  whereas I managed to preserver the IBM RescueRecovery partn (hda3)
> at the ending cylinders of the 80GB drive.

After witnessing PartMagic "fixing" a partition table and thereby making the
system unusable, I wouldn't trust it. If your version supports it you can
consider creating the CD recovery set from the RescueRecovery partition and
using {c,s,}fdisk for partitioning the whole harddrive.

Bye
 Andreas