xorg's radeon driver (was: Re: [ltp] switch between clone mode and second screen)

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:50:55 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:38:27 +0100, Uwe Walter <walter-l@tm.uka.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:15:24 +0100, Christof Musik <christof@freenet.de> wrote:
> > > Could you post your config, because I tried DVI with XOrg 6.8.1 and it
> > > didn't worked for me.
>
> I pretty much used the one, Osho posted here (thanks!) and applied only
> some modifications to adapt it to my setup here (ext 1280px LCD).
>
> I attached a reduced version of it.
> That one drives only my external panel, the internal is switched off,
> which is exactly what I want from this config file.
>
> (However, I don't understand that completely (because the MonitorLayout
> specifies LVDS as second and MergeFB is on), but I'm still new to the
> xorg driver. ;-))
>

> On Do, 2005-02-10 at 14:24 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > newer thinkpads with DVI and LCD won't work.
>
> What exactly doesn't work?
> DVI?
> Or LCD and DVI simultaneously (as probably should with the setup
> described above)?

Using both simultaneously doesn't work because the both the LVDS
controller (which drives the LCD) and the internal TMDS controller
(which drives the DVI) are hard coded to the first display controller
(crtc1) in the driver. You can only use one or the other right now.
Optimally we'd separate the crtc handling from the output handling so
either display controller (crtc1 and crtc2) could driver any output
(LVDS, internal TMDS, external TMDS, TV-out, DAC1, DAC2).

Alex