[ltp] T20 - to acpi or to apm?

Nick Rout linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:48:08 +1300

I have a T20, nice solid machine, a little long in the tooth, but it gets me by.

I had reason to completely reinstall gentoo on it recently, and now have a recent 2.6.9 kernel with acpi enabled and acpi-ibm installed.

I haven't managed to get suspending and hibernation working properly yet, but i am beginning to wonder if I should be using acpi at all, or whether on such an old machine I should stick to apm.

One of the reasons for saying that is that the fan never seems to go very hard, the machine gets very hot. The fan goes full tilt when i turn it on from a cold start, but as soon as the kernel boots it seems to slow down.

So, do the wise people here recommend I go with acpi or revert to apm. I can get a later kernel - 2.6.10 is easy to switch to in gentoo, there may even be 2.6.11 available?

And any hints on the fan speed? I'd rather too fast than too slow, as I'd rather be annoyed by the noise than fry the insides.
--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>