[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Ulrich Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:52:11 +0100

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 06:52 +0100, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am using Debian Sarge with Kernel 2.6.8-2 on a Thinkpad R50 (18297RG).
>
> Nearly everything works fine but there are still some annoying details. The
> most annoying is power management.
>
> The packages acpi and acpid are installed, acpid is running. apm and apmd are
> not installed.
>
> The kernel starts with parameters: append="apm=off acpi=on"
>
> BIOS and embedded controller program are the newest I found on the IBM
> website.
>
> Unfortunately the notebook will not power off, when I shut it down.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?

Most probably it is the lapic which is known to cause problems like that
on thinkpads. Had the same problems, too. If you make a new kernel, just
do not enable the lapic (under "processor type and features" it's "local
apic support on uniprocessors"). Maybe there is also a kernel parameter
that will do, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone on this list can
help out.

Anyway, what about getting a new kernel, like 2.6.10 which runs really
stable for me.

Ulrich