[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Dirk Deimeke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 07:23:06 +0100

Hi Ulrich,

> Most probably it is the lapic which is known to cause problems like that
> on thinkpads. Had the same problems, too. If you make a new kernel, just
> do not enable the lapic (under "processor type and features" it's "local
> apic support on uniprocessors"). Maybe there is also a kernel parameter
> that will do, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone on this list can
> help out.

That would be fine. I think you are on the right track. The following messages
are in my /var/log/messages:

Feb 13 05:57:14 localhost kernel: Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
Feb 13 05:57:14 localhost kernel: Found and enabled local APIC!

> Anyway, what about getting a new kernel, like 2.6.10 which runs really
> stable for me.

I am using Linux for many years, but I am a beginner concerning Debian.

Where can I get a deb-Package for a newer Kernel?

Thanks

Dirk